In early 2011, I was still dating my now ex and still best friends with Michael. He had called me and asked if we could hang out so we could catch up. I told him he could meet me at the mall after I was done with my shift and he agreed. I was excited. Of course I wouldnt cheat on my ex, but catching up with my best friend would be great. I waited 2 hours that day and he never showed. I called him and he said he had overslept since he had partied a little too hard the night before. I understood that but I told him we had to reschedule. He called me that night but his tone of voice was different. He told me he could never hang out with me. My mouth dropped and I asked why? "You have a boyfriend. I like you too much to just hang out with you and not get the urge to hug or kiss you. As long as you have a boyfriend, we can't ever hang out." Once again, I was devastated but I understood him and accepted it. I continued to date my now ex and Michael was obviously upset because he knew how bad I was treated but he always answered my phone calls when I called him crying. A few days later, he called me and told me that we could no longer be friends or talk at all, for that matter. "Why? First, you tell me we cant hang out and now you wont even talk to me? Why?" "Ady, I have strong feelings for you that have never gone away. Since you have a boyfriend and you obviously wont ever leave him, I dont want these feelings anymore. When I get over you, I'll let you know and we can hopefully talk and be friends again." What!? He had strong feelings for me?! NO! He couldn't stop talking to me. I needed him but that was selfish. If he needed to do that, I couldnt stop him. He was right. Deep down, I wanted him to have feelings for me. My feelings for him were still there deep down but they had been put to rest when I started dating my ex. I cried. Two long months went by and one day, I saw a message from him. I was just as a excited as a little kid on Christmas morning. We talked like friends and everything seemed great. I was a little upset because since he was talking to me again, that meant he had gotten over me. Oh well. At least I had my friend back. I had the nerve to ask him if we could hang out now. Once again, his answer was no. "Why?" " Ady, I tried so hard to get over you and forget about you and I couldnt. I
couldnt get you off my mind. I tried dating other girls and it just wasn't enough. I dont know if I will ever get over you but until then, we cant ever hang out." A part of me cheered because he still had feelings for me but at the same time, I felt bad. As 2011 went on, problems with my ex got worse and worse. I tried breaking up with him a few times but he always managed to reel me back in with flowers and sweet empty words. I always fell for it. Finally at the end of November, I decided enough was enough. How could I waste my time with someone who didnt appreciate nor respect me. I was going to end it. Early December, my now ex gave me one last reason to break up with him and boy was it big. I would break up with him no matter. Enough was enough. I told Michael that I would be breaking up with the boyfriend the next weekend and thats when he said something I will never forget. "Ady, I really hope you can actually break up with your boyfriend this time. He hurts you too much. You arent even happy. He doesnt deserve you. Open your eyes. Dont do it for me or anyone else, do it for yourself. You are an amazing girl and any guy would be lucky to have you. I have been in love with you since we met. You have no idea how much my heart would break every time you called me crying. All I ever wanted to do was hug and kiss you and tell you everything would be okay. I have always loved you and I dont think I will ever stop loving you." I looked back at previous messages and I realized I was so stupid. He was constantly dropping hints from the beginning but I was too blind to see. He always liked me as much as I liked him. That weekend, I broke up with my boyfriend and I didnt even shed a tear. I don't think I had been that happy in a while. I felt free. I could breathe again. For that brief moment, I even forgot about Michael. I had broken the chains I felt eternally bound to. I was free and happy. I could be me again. 3 days later, I told Michael I had always been in love with him as well. My feelings for him were always there. He asked me out that day, Dec 21, 2011. I had to say yes and I did. Even though it had been only 3 days since breaking up with my now ex, he was already completely forgotten. We kept our relationship private for the first couple months . I would go through all of that crap again just so I could end up with my husband again. Dating my now husband was the best decision I have ever made. Now it's 2014 and we will be celebrating our first wedding anniversary as well as our beautiful daughter's first birthday. She has her own story of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment